This Day for You - May 25
Celebrating Eid Today - Eid-ul-Fitr, an annual festival celebrated during summers to mark an end to the holy month of Ramzan-- where Muslims observe fast and offer prayers, will be observed today.
1) 1803 - Ralph Waldo Emerson, American essayist and philosopher.
2) 1886 - Rash Behari Bose, Indian Independence Activist.
3) 1889 - Igor Sikorsky, founder of Sikorsky Aircrafts.
4) 1926 - Bill Sharman, American hall-of-fame basketball player.
5) 1939 - Sir Ian McKellen, English film and theatre actor.
6) 1969 - Anne Heche, American actress.
7) 1972 - Karan Johar, Indian film actor and TV host.
Events in History:
1)1787 - The US Constitutional Convention, which later drafted the Constitution of the United States, was opened in Philadelphia.
2) 1810 - The municipal council of Buenos Aires, after cutting ties with Spain and the viceregal government, established an autonomous government.
3) 1935 - Renowned American track player, Jesse Owens, set three world records and equalled another in Michigan.
4) 1915 - Mahatma Gandhi established the Sabarmati Ashram in Kochrab, near Ahmedabad.
5) 1946 - Abdulla 1, the ruler of Transjordan, declared himself a king after Jordan became independent from Britain.
6) 1961 - John F. Kennedy, in a speech before congress, committed the United States to land a man on the moon which was later achieved by Apollo 11 in 1969.
7) 1977 - Star Wars: Episode IV was released which went on to become one of the most iconic franchises in movie history.
8) 2001 - Erik Weihenmayer became the first blind person to scale Everest.
9) 2011 - The last episode of The Oprah Winfrey show aired on TV.